December 5, 2012, 4:27pm, Topics: unusual scholarships, college scholarships
Think you have researched all of the college scholarships that are out there? Think again. I bet you haven't seen some of these unusual, crazy and odd scholarships.
- Frederick and Mary F. Beckley "Left-Handed" Scholarship: Are you left handed? Are you going to Juniata College? Are you at least a sophomore? Then you can qualify for this left-handed student’s only scholarship.
- Michigan Llama Association Scholarship: If your folks are alumni of the Michigan Llama Association, you can send an application in this scholarship worth $500, the cool thing is that is it renewable up to 3 times. All you have to do is write an essay about your family’s involvement with llamas.
- Zolp Scholarship: Here are the three criteria for this scholarship: Is your last name Zolp? Are you Roman Catholic? Do you attend Loyola? If you meet these three requisites then you can a full-tuition scholarship as Loyola.
- Van Valckenburg Memorial Scholarship: If anyone can Van Valckenburg can. Win a scholarship that is if you have that last name. In fact it is good for up to $1,000 towards tuition at any college.
- Tall Clubs International Scholarship: Are you really tall? If so, you can take advantage of this “higher ed” scholarship. As long as you are at least 6′2″ and male, or at least 5′10″ and you are a female, then you can enter in for a $1,000 college scholarship.
- Little People of America Scholarships: If you are a little person, you can qualify for this scholarship. Preference given to those who have a medically diagnosed form of dwarfism.
- Billy Barty Foundation Scholarship: You can also apply for the $1,000 if you are shorter than 4′10″ and diagnosed with dwarfism.
- National Gay Pilots' Association Scholarship: If you are gay, and planning to study aviation, this scholarship might be for you. You do have to be active in the LGBT community.
- American Nudist Research Library Scholarship: If you are a young nudist, looking for a little financial aid help, you can apply for this scholarship.
- Gertrude J. Deppen Scholarship: Those attending Bucknell University, and who have lived in Mount Carmel for 10 years and graduated from the public high school, can get this scholarship. Oh, and you can’t be using narcotics, tobacco or intoxicating liquor.
- NCTA Help Santa Find the Perfect Real Christmas Tree: If you are between the ages of six and 16, you can write an essay about finding a perfect Christmas tree, and get up to $10,000.
- FBI Common Knowledge Scholarship: Do you happen to know a lot about the FBI? If so, you can enter this quiz contest and possibly win up to $250.
- National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance Scholarship: The New England chapter of this organization offers a scholarship to students who are overweight.
- Carnegie Mellon Bagpipe Scholarship: If you are willing to study bagpipes from a world-famous instructor, majoring in the pipes, you can get $7,000 a year — and a discount on your kilts.
- Chick and Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling Contest: High school seniors can compete for scholarships of $1,500, $500, $300 and $200 for best ability to call ducks.
- Coven of the Sacred Waters Scholarships: Do you have a talent for witchcraft? If so, you can apply for a $500 scholarship from the Coven of the Sacred Waters. You can also apply for a community service award — even if you aren’t a witch.
- National Make It Yourself with Wool Scholarship: The American Sheep Industry Association offers a scholarship for those who make garments out of at least 60% wool.
- The Kor Memorial Scholarship: This is a scholarship offered by the Klingon Language Institute for those who have the talent of tongue. No, you don’t have to speak Klingon; but you do have to be studying language.
- Starfleet Academy Scholarships: The International Star Trek Fan Association’s Starfleet offers a number of scholarships, based on different talents, including engineering, medical, performing arts, writing and business.
- Excellence in Predicting the Future Award: If you are good at figuring out what the market will do, you can join in this contest to see whether you can win $400 by accurately predicting the market and increasing your account.